I have another new favourite soup, and it's this one. This Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup is getting it's own bank account, it's so good.
Really. Even Neil enjoyed it, and he doesn't like broccoli.
I probably wouldn't have offered him a bowl of it, if he hadn't asked what smelled so good when it was bubbling away on the stove. When I told him what it was, he said he wouldn't mind trying some.
So when it was cooked, I pushed the spoon into his face with a whole "Choo-choo here comes the food train." pantomime, to which he responded with "Please don't ever do that again." and "I'll eat that." A huuuuuuge compliment from my man of few words.
Neither of us are fans of soups that use flour as a thickener (though I do make them), so I used a carrot to thicken this soup, and to add a slightly golden colour - which makes this a gluten free soup. Also, this recipe uses the whole broccoli - both florets and stems.
I'm now trying to think of more ways to get him to eat broccoli because I love it, and it's far easier to cook one meal for both of us than two separate ones. Though this doesn't happen too often because although he's a man of simple tastes - Neil will try virtually anything (that isn't a flapjack), that I put in front of him.
It's that or starve.
Now it's time to announce the winner of the Michel Roux "Eggs" Cook Book Give Away from last Monday.... drum roll please...
and... the winner iiiiiiissssss.....
Katrina Pearce (comment number 2) - congratulation Katrina, your book is on it's way!
Thanks to everyone who entered xx
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Creamy Broccoli Cheddar Soup Recipe
Prep time - 15 minutes
Cooking time - 30 minutes
Total time - 45 minutes
You will need
A stick or jug blender
A saucepan with lid
1 tbsp butter
1 medium onion - peeled and chopped
1 large carrot - about 8oz/225g - peeled and sliced
1 large head of broccoli - about 14oz/400g - florets and stems separated and stems chopped up
1.5 pints/850 ml vegetable stock
4fl oz/100ml double/heavy cream
6oz/170g mature cheddar - grated
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat and throw in the onion, carrot and broccoli stems - cook very gently for 10 minutes. It helps to pop a lid on.
- Season generously with salt and pepper and stir in the broccoli florets.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly if using a jug blender - pour the soup into the jug and blend until smooth (ish).
- Transfer the soup back to the saucepan and very gently re-heat.
- Add the cream and cheese and stir until the cheese has melted.
- Ladle the soup into four bowls.