28 November 2013

* Celeriac and Potato Mash

This celeriac and potato mash came about because I had rather a large celeriac to use up, that I bought on a whim and I didn't fancy any more soup (I'm souped out. Can you believe it?!?), which is usually the obvious choice for me - when it comes to using up veg - so I thought I'd liven up some mashed potato with it.

I will definitely be doing it again. The celeriac seemed to lighten up the texture of the mash and the flavour too, giving it that almost peppery taste of celery, but somewhat milder.

I wasn't sure if it would go down like a sack of lead cr@p with Neil, because he's a bit of a purist when it comes to his mashed potatoes. He'll eat it with oodles of cheese, but otherwise he tends to regard any alteration to his beloved mash with a bone deep suspicion.

It's incredibly difficult to sit across the table from someone who is eyeing up their mashed potato as if it's going to pull a gun on them.... especially whilst fighting the urge to shout "BANG".

When I presented him with his dinner, he looked at the mash that was swirled through with parsley and said "That doesn't look right... what have you done?" This is usually where I get defensive and start on at him about a variety of past grievances that have absolutely nothing to do with the mashed potato and what I've supposedly done with it. However... all I said was "Eat your dinner." I'd had wine. He then regarded me with suspicion and took a forkful of the mash.... and then another.

When his plate was clear I got the "Lovely darlin'." that I'd been waiting for.

He didn't ask again, what I'd done.. and I didn't tell him.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
Celeriac and Potato Mash Recipe

Serves 4

Prep time - 15 minutes
Cooking time - 20 - 25 minutes
Total time - 35 - 40 minutes

You will need
A potato masher or ricer
A pan to cook your veg in.

Ingredients
21oz / 600g potatoes - peeled and chopped (2 inches)
1 lb / 500g (1 large) celeriac - peeled and chopped (2 inches)
3 cloves garlic - whole and unpeeled
1oz / 30g butter
7fl oz / 200ml double/heavy cream
salt
pepper
handful of fresh parsley, chopped (optional)

Method

  • Place the potatoes in a large pan of cold water and bring to a boil.
  • Gently drop the celeriac and garlic cloves in with the potatoes and simmer for 20 - 25 minutes or until both are cooked.
  • Drain the vegetables, and peel the garlic (if you can find it!) and return to the saucepan.
  • Mash the veg and garlic with a masher or push through a potato ricer.
  • Heat the cream and butter in a small pan over a gentle heat and once warned through, pour them into the vegetables and stir them in.
  • Season with salt and pepper and stir through the parsley.
  • Serve with whatever you fancy, we had ours with Slow Cooker Chicken Chorizo (recipe to follow soon).
EAT


7 comments :

  1. The less Neil knows, the better, methinks..lol ^.^

    I've never thought of mixing a veg into my mashed potatoes. This is a great idea! xx ^.^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh. I completely agree, Sharon - less arguments that way ;-)

      Delete
  2. Very nice post, Abbe! This is such a tasty & healthy dish!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping in to read my recipes (and ramblings). I love it when you let me know what you think - so please leave a comment and I promise to take the time to reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...