Raspberries are cheap in Aldi at the moment, so of course - I purchased a ton of them. Not quite enough to make ice cream, though I'd really like to (mum keeps dropping hints), but certainly enough to make a cakey or two. We've only recently had Raspberry Almond Squares, and I haven't successfully made a cupcake in FOREVER, so it was about time for another dubious attempt.
There was dancing and everything.
As I stood icing them, my friend Trina appeared (she has a cake radar) for a cup of tea, and got so excited at the prospect of cake that at one point I thought she was going to drop her head in the icing bowl. When we're out in public I often pretend I don't know her - especially when she discovers matching jewellery. Ever seen a girl nearly wet herself over a bangle? I have. It's the stuff of nightmares.
I couldn't find my piping bag and nozzles, so iced the cupcakes with a palette knife and they ended up with a slightly shabby chic appearance, that I actually quite liked once I stopped licking the palette knife long enough to take notice. You'll be happy to know that I did not lick anything whilst in the midst of icing, but waited until I had finished. Honest.
I was genuinely chuffed to bits with the end result. They were moist and tasty and nommy and sweet and there's none left already.
You didn't expect otherwise, did you?!?
HAVE YOU MET ME?!?
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Raspberry Coconut Cupcakes Recipe
Makes 12 - 15 depending on paper case size.
Prep time - 10 minutes
Cooking time - 15 - 20 minutes
Total time - 25 - 30 minutes.
You will need
12 - 15 cupcake cases
A muffin/cupcake tin with 12 holes
Bowl and whisk/food mixer
5oz/140g caster sugar
5oz140g butter, softened
2 large eggs
½ tsp vanilla extract4 tbsp milk
6oz/175g self-raising flour
2oz/50g desiccated coconut
150g fresh raspberries
10oz280g icing sugar
3.5oz/85g butter, softened
2 tbsp seedless raspberry jam
shredded coconut, to decorate
- Heat oven to 375f/190C/160C fan/gas 5.
- Line the muffin tin with deep paper cases.
- Beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Whisk in the eggs, milk and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour and coconut and beat in until thoroughly combined.
- Gently fold in the raspberries, then spoon evenly into the paper cases.
- Bake in the oven until golden brown and firm to touch - between 15 and 20 minutes.
- Leave to cool before icing.
- Beat together the icing sugar and butter until it starts to get a bit stiff, then add the jam and 1/2 tsp of water and continue to beat until mixed in.
- Ice the cakes using a pallet knife or piping bag - chose your weapon.
- Scatter with shredded coconut.
Adapted from Good Food Magazine.
ONE YEAR AGO: Bacon and Zucchini Risotto