My eating habits haven't changed much in forty years so they're hardly going to change in the single year that I have been food blogging... maybe if I'm still at it in twenty years you will be able to expect something different... but only because I will have cooked every, single soup recipe on the planet by then.
Somehow I doubt that we're going to find out.
No. I really don't expect to be dead within the next twenty years. Well it's not in the plan, at any rate -I just doubt that in twenty years I'll still be food blogging. I'm hoping to be living on a Caribbean Island, in a hut, on the beach. Someone else will be doing the cooking.
I can dream.
Anyway... this soup is an adapted version of a creamless corn chowder by Cara at Big Girls Small Kitchen (Link to original recipe at bottom of page). I absolutely loved it when I cooked it, about a year ago (so did Neil), and was tempted just to repeat the recipe this time - it was that good... but I had extra peppers to use up and am still attempting to locate and divest myself of all of the pasta that I have accumulated and hidden throughout the house...
... I had my hands on a bag of mini farfalle in the supermarket the other day and for the first time ever my brain decided to get in on the action and question whether or not I actually needed another type of pasta in the house. We had a minor altercation. I lost. I came home without the mini farfalle.
I am no longer in a relationship with my brain.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Corn, Three Pepper and Orzo Soup Recipe
Prep time - 10 minutes
Cooking time - 55 minutes
Total time - 1 hr 5 minutes
You will need
A medium to large saucepan/skillet with lid
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion - diced
2 medium carrots - peeled and diced
3 corn cobs - sweetcorn removed and reserved, naked cobs reserved
1 pint 15fl oz/1 litre vegetable stock
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsps sherry
3 bay leaves
1/2 red pepper - deseeded and diced
1/2 orange pepper - deseeded and diced
1/2 green pepper - deseeded and diced
2oz/50g dried orzo
1 tsp dried tarragon
- Heat oil in the pan and gently soften the onions for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add the carrots and cook for a further 5 - 6 minutes.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and sherry and add the salt.
- Drop in the naked corn cobs and bay leaves - bring to a boil then drop to a gentle simmer. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove naked cobs (I know I could call them husks, but where's the fun in that?!?), and bay leaves.
- Add the peppers and orzo and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in the sweetcorn and tarragon and cook for 2 minutes.
- Serve with crusty bread.
Lightly adapted from Big Girls Small Kitchen - New York Corn Chowder with Tarragon