The temptation to stick a load of herbs and spices in, or a spoonful of curry paste... or even a tin of tomatoes has been HUGE... but if I'd done that I wouldn't have had the soup I wanted. I just wanted something fairly simple and wholesome that would taste... I dunno... a bit... English, maybe. Or maybe I was aiming for a bit Summery. Who knows.
So... there I was, yet again thinking "Sod it, all these ingredients and I'm still not sure I like this bloody soup." I opened the fridge door and stared vacantly inside it, looking for divine inspiration (I do this A LOT... at least, that's what I tell Neil I'm doing when he comes in the kitchen and discovers me with my head in the fridge for the eleventieth hundredth time that day)... when I spotted the mustard, sitting in the top of the fridge door, frantically waving it's little hands in the air shouting "Oh! Oh! Pick me! Pick me!".
So I did. And it worked.
It took until this time to end up with something that I thought was tasty enough to share... and it was all down to a couple of heaped tablespoons of multi-grain mustard. There's a huuuuge chance that it's going to become my new spinach, and go into just about everything that I cook because it worked a little miracle on my soup. It gave it the flavour I'd been looking for that every previous version had been missing.
Even cream hadn't helped it's forefathers.
*Sigh*... I like cream.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Roast Chicken and Vegetable Soup Recipe
Prep time - 10 minutes
Cooking time - 30 minutes
Total time - 40 minutes
You will need
A large saucepan
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion - diced
3 celery sticks - diced
1 large carrot - peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic - crushed
28fl oz/800ml chicken stock5fl oz/125ml white wine
2oz/50g small dried pasta shapes (for soup)
4oz/100g courgette/zucchini - diced
4/oz100g sweetcorn (frozen is fine)
4oz/100g green beans - cut into thirds (or halved depending on length)
14oz/400g can cannellini beans - rinsed and drained
200g left over roast chicken - chopped
2 heaped tbsps multi-grain mustard
small handful of flat leaf parsley - roughly chopped
- Heat the oil in the saucepan over a gentle heat.
- Add the onions, celery, carrots and garlic and cook gently for 10 minutes, or until softened.
- Pour in the chicken stock and wine and bring to a boil.
- Add the pasta, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Now add the courgette, sweetcorn and green beans and continue to simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cannellini beans and chopped chicken. Cook for 5 minutes to heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper then finally, stir in the 2 heaped tbsps of multi-grain mustard.
- Serve garnished with the parsley.