20 February 2013

* Sweet Potato and Spinach Gratin

Sweet Potato and Spinach Gratin
It didn't matter what I did with this gratin, it would NOT take a decent photograph, and I'm not photographically skilled enough to make it look awesome. Which it was. Totally. So please don't let it's somewhat Seventies demeanour, put you off.

It was lush.

It was also incredibly easy to wack together whilst I took a lunch break from spring cleaning my lounge. Yes. I said "spring cleaning my lounge". Yes. I have hit my head. Bashed it on the breakfast bar yesterday when I was fishing around underneath it, for Neil's slippers. Stood up before I had cleared the bottom of the thing and 24 hours later I find myself covered from head to toe in dust bunnies, sporting this seasons "Mop and Bucket Look". Tres chic.

The dog spent the entire day crashed out on my bed, for fear of getting roped into helping. That and the fact that at seventy seven human years old, she couldn't take all the whirling dervish that was going on, so I took pity on her and treated her to a trip Upstairs. Upstairs is somewhere that she's not usually allowed access to, unless mummy is staying out for the night - in which case, daddy sneaks her Upstairs at bed time so that they can snuggle... without mummy knowing...

... that is, until she discovers the dog hairs all over the bed (Eeeeewww), and the chew toy wedged under her pillow (Double Eeeeewwww!!!).

Obviously, it's okay when I let her up there. I'm in charge.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
Serves 4 

Prep time - 10 minutes
Cooking time - 30 - 40 minutes

You will need
A square/rectangular casserole dish

Ingredients
Fry light
800g (peel weight) Sweet Potatoes - peeled and thinly sliced
100g spinach - chopped
60g low fat cheddar
150ml Elmlea Light Double Cream Alternative
150ml half fatcrème fraîche 2 fat cloves garlic - crushed 1 tsp dried thyme salt and pepper for seasoning
 
Method
Preheat oven to 180c/160cfan/350f/gas 4.

Spray the casserole dish with fry light or low fat cooking spray. Layer half of the potatoes onto the bottom of the casserole, season with salt and pepper and half of the dried thyme. Top with the chopped spinach then half of the cheese.


Layer the top with the other half of the potatoes. In a jug combine the cream, crème fraîche, garlic, rest of the thyme, a pinch of salt and pepper and whisk thoroughly before pouring it over the top of the gratin.


Finish with the remainder of the cheese and pop into the oven, uncovered for 30 - 40 minutes, until the potatoes are cooked and the cheese and golden and bubbling on the top. Serve with a large salad, or use as a side dish to accompany your favourite lamb/pork chops.

EAT


11 propoints per serving

Adapted to make slightly more Weightwatchers Friendly from Good Food Magazine.

2 comments :

  1. This recipe looks amazing! I'm in the US and was wondering what a good alternative would be for Elmlea Light Double Cream Alternative. I was able to find Double Devon Cream in my grocery store - is this the same thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anon - I only used the Elmlea Light Double Cream Alternative because it's slightly lower in fat and has a longer shelf life than ordinary double cream. In the U.S. I think the best alternative would be a normal heavy cream (but a lighter version if your weight watching).

      Hope that helps! xx

      Delete

Thanks for dropping in to read my recipes (and ramblings). I love it when you let me know what you think - so please leave a comment and I promise to take the time to reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...