11 October 2012

* Sweet 'n' Sour Prawns

I've had an amazingly crappy week for one simple reason... 

I've not been able to turn my head. 

Which is hysterically funny if you're the person watching me fling my entire body round in a circle every time someone calls my name... or I can't find the dog... but not so funny when you're me.

Reversing the car onto the driveway has been fun. I've only hit the house once. Which is actually pretty good for me - I used to reverse into the garden fence on a regular basis, so Neil put a bin shed type affair on the drive to cushion the blow and aid with my perspective.

The bins are now out of the shed and postioned firmly in front of it... to cushion the blow and aid with my perspective.

I could confess and tell him that I do it deliberately because his exasperation entertains me... but what fun would that be?

Tonights dinner needed to be something very quick and easy, that didn't require too much in the way of full body movement. I did consider giving Neil a ring and asking him to grab dinner on the way home - but I have all his money.

Go me.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
Serves 3

Prep time - 5 minutes
Cooking time - 6-7 minutes

You will need
A frying pan/skillet or wok

Ingredients
60ml tomato ketchup
60ml white wine vinegar
227g tin pineapple chunks in juice - drained - reserve juice
60ml pineapple juice (use from tin)
3 tbsp brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp corn flour (corn starch)
1 tbsp groundnut oil
1 clove garlic - crushed
1 inch piece of fresh ginger - peeled and grated
1 red pepper - deseeded and cut into chunks
1 yellow pepper - deseeded and cut into chunks
5 spring onions (scallions) - sliced on the bias (diagonally) - 2 tbsp reserved for garnish
250g cooked shelled prawns (defrosted if frozen)

Method
Combine the ketchup, vinegar, pineapple juice, brown sugar, salt and corn flour in a bowl and mix thoroughly. This is a pretty sharp sauce, so you may want to adjust it to your own taste with more sugar or more vinegar.


Heat the ground nut oil in the pan over a medium to high heat, then add the peppers, garlic and ginger and fry quickly for 2 minutes. Add the spring onions and pineapple chunks, and fry for another minute.


Add the sweet and sour sauce to the pan, and just as it begins to bubble, stir in the prawns. Heat through quickly - you don't want the prawns to turn into rubber bullets.


Serve with white basmati rice or medium egg noodles, garnished with the reserved spring onion.

2 comments :

  1. Could you make this without the prawns, or is there something you could substitute for them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you can make this without the prawns no problem!

      If you do substitute something in their place, make sure it's cooked first - as the prawns are already cooked before adding them to this recipe. It's a great way to use up a bit of cooked chicken or pork.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping in to read my recipes (and ramblings). I love it when you let me know what you think - so please leave a comment and I promise to take the time to reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...