26 September 2012

* Sausage, Bean and Macaroni Stew

Sausage, Bean and Macaroni Stew
It seems that my weekend spent with my two favourite girls, has left me with a rotten cold. I'm going to blame the littlest one, because I can... and because she's the most likely culprit. Still, I would not have missed snotty hugs and cuddles from either of them, for the world.

Last night's dinner needed to be something that would make me feel a little less delicate, so I grabbed a few sausages out of the freezer, checked I had enough macaroni (I was 6g short), and raided my cupboards for a tin of beans. Flageolet beans.

I love flageolet beans. I could (and often do) eat them straight out of the tin. This was my last tin. I never use the last tin. I go out and buy a million more tins before I use the last tin.

I used the last tin.

Even now, while sitting here and typing this - I'm wondering when I am going to be able to re-stock them, because I can't get them locally. This is Cornwall, and I live in The Forgotten Corner. We don't have flageolet beans here. Or buses.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
Serves 4

Prep time - 15 minutes
Cooking time - 40 - 50 minutes

You will need
A large non stick saucepan/skillet

Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
8 Lincolnshire (or good pork) sausages
2 onions - finely chopped
2 large carrots - peeled and diced
3 sticks celery - diced
2 cloves garlic - crushed
2 tbsp tomato puree
400g tin chopped tomatoes
1Litre chicken stock
150g macaroni
400g tin flageolet beans - drained and rinsed
Handful fresh parsley - chopped

Method
In a bowl, remove the sausages from their case-ings and roll the meat into walnut sized meatballs - probably about 3 per sausage. Heat the olive oil in the non stick pan and gently brown the sausage balls on all sides - about 10 minutes, remove from pan with slotted spoon and set aside.


Add the carrots, celery and onion to the pan and cook until softened, about 10 minutes - then add the garlic and tomato puree, cook for 1 minute. Stir in the chopped tomatoes and chicken stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.


Add the macaroni and simmer for 5 minutes before returning the meatballs to the pan. Simmer for another 5 minutes, then stir in the flageolet beans. Cook for yet another 5 minutes until beans are piping hot, and macaroni and meatballs are cooked.


Season to taste, stir in the parsley and serve.

NOTE: Make sure you cook the sausage meatballs in the same pan as everything else, as this truly is where the flavour comes from.

7 comments :

  1. Dang that one looks heavy! I don't like flageolet beans though ;_________;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't like Butter Beans either!

      You do realise that unless you eat your beans you will NEVER be able to fart the theme tune to the muppets??!!??

      Delete
    2. You're right, that would be a shame. I do very well Morricone's music with red beans though.

      Delete
  2. This recipe sounds so delish! I found it via Pinterest -- my personal, favorite brand of crack. ;-)

    I've never even heard of Flageolet beans, but I intend to look for some in my grocery store ASAP! This recipe will definitely be on my meal plan this week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly!

      If you can't find flageolet beans, I imagine you could substitute canellini beans in their place, or even haricot beans.

      There ain't nufink like flageolets though ;0)

      Delete
  3. I'm thinking any bean would do, such as pinto, navy, etc. I have some chicken sausage I need to use up this week, think I will try this soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I'm completely addicted to Flageolet beans - and would put them in EVERYTHING if it didn't mean it wouldn't all start to taste the same, but I imagine you're right, and just about any bean will do *nods sagely*.

      I do hope you enjoy it when you do cook it :0)

      Delete

Thanks for dropping in to read my recipes (and ramblings). I love it when you let me know what you think - so please leave a comment and I promise to take the time to reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...