22 August 2012

* Marinara Sauce

Marinara Sauce Recipe
I have to stop myself from calling this Pizza Sauce, it does so much more than that - but that really is what it is.

This is the type of sauce you can fiddle with until it's exactly as you like it. It's a topping for pizzas, and is lovely stirred through pasta, as well as spooned over chicken etc - it's fairly versatile and very easy to cook. 

I've been using this recipe almost as long as I've been using the basic pizza dough recipe. 

I've tried a few - some with fresh tomatoes, some with tinned - some with white wine, some with red, others with none. This is the one that I always come back to, it's simple to make and I always have all of the ingredients to hand. 

Although there may always be a bottle of *something alcoholic* in the cupboard, there's rarely wine unless it's been bought as a gift. Wine makes me stoopid. Very. This recipe doesn't have wine.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 
Marinara Sauce Recipe

Makes enough to cover one quantity of basic pizza dough

Prep time - 2 minutes
Cooking time - 20 - 25 minutes

You will need
A saucepan
Potato Masher(optional)

Ingredients
400g can of chopped tomatoes
1 or 2 (you choose) cloves garlic - crushed
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tbsp olive oil
pinch of salt
pinch of sugar

Method
Put all ingredients into the saucepan together. Bring to a simmer. Cook uncovered for 20 minutes or until thickened but still moist. If you want a slightly smoother sauce, gently mash with a potato masher, but don't over do it... and try not drop it on your foot when you're taste testing.



No comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping in to read my recipes (and ramblings). I love it when you let me know what you think - so please leave a comment and I promise to take the time to reply!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...